Saturday, April 4, 2009

Pushing my luck - doubling down and going long




I had intended to run on Friday night but Team Kennedy manager did her ankle in on Thursday at her Bozu class and after she had a very uncomfortable Thursday night in bed I was once more on Friday morning at Accident and Emergency in L'Hopital Braine L'Alleud.....this time suspected broken ankle. I did get my Frequest visitor card stamped.

X-Rays show no broken bone but ligament damage...so to cut a long story short I needed to take Wallis(Team Kennedy Mascot) to her regular physio session after her leg break ski-ing earlier this year as the TK Manager could not drive. You can see a Darwinesque type pattern emerging here...one I'm lucky personally to be avoiding.

So by the time we got back from the Physio I was too hungry to run and then once I'd eaten my Cheesy Pasta I couldn't get motivated so I spent the evening drinking tea and tackling the EU Chocolate Digestive mountain.

Saturday morning and I'm up and feeling good, raring to go in fact. I decided to run today and I'll bike tomorrow on the theory the road is quieter on a Sunday for the bike. I'm thinking 17k route for my run and finished for the day. I can then spend the rest of the day punting via TV and betfair at the grand national meet at Aintree.

I had my museli, banana and necked 500cl of sports drnk. Spent 10 minutes sorting my MP3 and listening to David Coultard(presenters calling him DC) spouting jibberish at the Malaysian Grand Prix, as confused about the race as he is about the difference of being British and Scottish I suspect. The first 4K flashed by and I was very surprised to be into my runners high after 2K and the boys from Keane giving me a very motivated soundtrack.

Top of Hedgehog Hill at 5K and time is OK and I'm feeling OK. I continue and its getting a little warmer so I take off my skins type undershirt. I get to 8K and my time I see is pretty poor. I realise I'm running using my old short stride and everything I learned myself last week has been forgotten.....

I hit 10K in a rather lethargic 52:08...after such a good week in the pool its a big let down. I head down the N5 and reach the turn off for home at 13k but decide to keep going. I'm going long to see if I can run a decent performance out by going long. I get to about 15K and I'm getting pain in the middle outside of my right foot. I loosen my shoe to see if it helps......it doesn't

I keep heading South stupidly away from the hot shower and a drink. I keep going till I get to the cut off for Glabais and then head east again at least no longer getting further away. I stagger out a painful and very tiring 26K in 2:18. I've got a handful of sore toes and blisters and a sore right foot and left knee. I have stretch and a shower/shave. I then hit my bed for half an hour to get some heat into myself. I get up and finish off 500cl of sports drink and a couple of handfuls of dry roasted peanuts.

I don't know why but what started a great session deteriorated to a near disaster and I'm left with a handful of minor injuries. I was wearing my under support shorts and this is the only thing I can see as different from normal. I'll leave them out as my previous problems with groin strains have not been seen for nearly 6 months. Maybe just a dull training day or not enough time from eating to running. I'm not overtraining as I've been checking my resting heart rate every day for the last month and its been getting lower.

3 comments:

  1. How are the injuries Running Man?

    ReplyDelete
  2. End result was both ankles took a beating so no cycling yesterday. I'm off to the US this week but have my running gear with me and hotel has a gym. Blisters all sorted out and hips/knees all aligned again. Resting heart rate was 58 this morning....so still no sign of overtraining , my old ankles excepted. Nothing terminal but a little warning that I'm not immune to injury. I'll be cutting the running right back to short fast distances and will concentrate on cycling on the run in. I'm lining up a 10K assault on Hedgehog hill on my return by doing it 10 times both sides. That will be a good tester to get me out of the saddle.....can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that'll be on the bike of course, need to get my climbing abilities up for the 2x300M climbs

    ReplyDelete

 
Locations of visitors to this page