Sunday, April 12, 2009

Out of the Saddle


Pretty tired this morning but I was nicely wakened by Team Kennedy manager with a cup of tea. Then a surprise visit by the Easter Bunny had myself and Wallis scrambling round the garden looking for Creme eggs. So not the worst start to a Sunday. I had breakfast and read some more of my latest cycling book "A Dog in a Hat" by Joe Parkin. A fantastic read if you are into Cycling and very funny if you are a foreigner in Belgium.

My hands were still numb from yesterday and my backside is pretty sore, I've taken to lathering on the Sudocrem(No I don't know either how we managed to have nappy rash cream in our bathroom). This has helped a little but probably only mentally. I'll need to check my books but the cream lathering may be a part of the Team managers job.

I choked down 3 expressos and a couple of bags of Quavers followed by a sports drink and a bananna. You are what you eat as they say. Anyway I'd put it off long enough and needed to get out there.

I was going to do some repeat hill climbs but with the race still 8 weeks today away I decided to leave that a bit longer and nearer the race. A quick time trial on the 20KM circuit will be the best test to see if my week away has helped.

I'm away quick and really hammering the first 4km. The first hill is Hedgehog hill and its about 500M in length with a climb of maybe 50M-60M, so not a wall but steep enough for you to know its there. I decided coming through the village that I'd climb all the hills out of the saddle today. I'd also try to stay in the big chainset the whole trip. No messing about like a mountain biker now I'm on a serious bike...lol

I'm about 75% of the way up when I'm forced to finally drop into the lowest gear in the big chainset...I'm pivoting the bike side to side but managing to keep the wheels pretty straight. I'm panting like a dog in the heat, although its far from being hot. Over the top and I've stayed out of the saddle the whole way and then down the steep drop into Ohain, 55kmph on the computer. It would be great if the road wasn't like something you'd expect in a warzone with holes and cracks covering most of the surface. Its impossible to miss all the bumps so I just brave through trying not to think what it would be like to leave a shoulder on the road at this speed.

The next hill starts right away and is about 700M long but not quite as steep. I manage to stay out of the saddle about 50% of the time. Its too much for my back and legs to take and they are turning to jelly. I do however still manage to stay in the big chainset.

Along the flat section and up the hill past the Church at Ransbeche, I'm feathering the pedals as the lights are at red. they change to green but I'm still too far away to make it so I flip over to the pavement and cut the corner then cross over and am back on the road.

The next 3KM are nice road surface and wind only slightly in my face. I'm keeping above 30kmph on most parts. Down past Carrefour and onto the cycle path down the N5. I know I'm going well as I've been pushing it most of the time. Up the hill to La Retro Club and past the Brothel. I don't look at my time as I want to keep it going regardless and I'm worried my head will kill off the effort if my time is OK or not OK. Down into Plancenoit and then up the last big hill again its about 500M in length and a rise of maybe 50M. I creep to the top having been out of the saddle more than 75% of the way up.

Down and into the house 42:29 is the time and I've smashed my previous best....it must be the cream. I'm pretty tired at the end and need a couple of minutes to get my heart rate down and drink my bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page