Sunday, June 21, 2009

Weekend Update

I went to the gym on Saturday. Its the first time I've been in a few months and I'll be adding a gym session per week to my schedule to try and build up specific muscle groups. I spent a fair bit of time working on my legs and shoulders. Idea being to build up additional strength for swim and cycle legs.

I did 20 minutes of 50kg leg presses with my legs starting from very close to my chest and lots and lots of repeats, basically until I could not do it without some pain. I could feel this working the large Gluteus Maxiumus muscles that go from the top of my thighs over my backside. This is the starting point of any cycle stroke so by building up more power here my downward stroke should be transfering more power to the wheels from the very top of the stroke. I definately felt the after effects of this workout when I got up this morning before my bike session.

I was up early for a bike ride on Sunday(7am) and out for 8:30am and was back just after 10am I didn't have my computer on as I've lost it but I was out for 1:30 on my watch with average heart rate of 137BPM. Therefore I was probably looking at between 42 and 45km's, not a big distance but I was trying to keep the pace up and I was looking for hills. My Gluteus Maximus muscles were very painful at the end of the ride. So they were getting well worked out :O)

I'm keeping off my feet at the moment as my painful foot injury seems to be getting worse. I won't run till the weekend to see if the break helps fix the issue.

Team Kennedy manager pulls off a new PB on 14K run at 1:13:47 so thats around a 1:40 half marathon time.....impressive. The distance needs to be checked as the footpod is calibrated for me but clearly regardless of distance she has knocked at least 7 minutes off her previous time for the same distance. The increase in training mileage is showing big benefits.....Chapeau Alison.

I'm still looking for the next big event and am thinking seriously of full Ironman in Austria next year but in the meantime I'm still looking for something to keep my training focussed for the rest of the summer. I won't be able to keep motivated to keep the high level of training up that I had pre Rapperswil without something to aim for. We're signed up for Glasgow Half in early Sept and I'll try Full Marathon in Brussels in October. This will give me an indication if the run leg is possible. Its important I feel confident in that leg as thats the last leg and currently my strongest event. So if I can't do a full marathon in October then a full Ironman just isn't possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page