Saturday, June 27, 2009

Pre Race - Thoughts

I was at Brasschaat today for the race briefing and to register. I picked up my number(355) and a nice new bag. I had a quick survey of the swimming course and right away I was blown away by how long it was, it was enormous. Its a full two circuits and I'd say from what I could see today that one circuit looked about the same size as Rapperswill in total. The distance should only be 800m-1100m longer as its somewhere between 2.7 and 3km( must be within 10% of 3K). Rapperswill swim leg was only 1.9km.

I'm not actually as worried about the distance as I am about making the time cut off which is only 70 minutes. Its a 12:00 start for professionals and then a 12:05 start for everyone else and anyone out of the water after 13:15 is in the broom wagon and not allowed to continue.

Therefore I'm officially bricking it and can see from my previous 42mins for 1.9km that 70minutes will be very very close, especially given the swim looks enormous. The full ironman swim distance is 3.9km and you get a full 2hrs20minutes, so twice the time for only 30% more distance.

Weather is forecast to be 25C and with potential thunder storms. I'm just hoping that is the max temp as its right on my limit heat wise. I've packed plenty to drink and a good whack of Gels for the bike leg. I hope I need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page