Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Big Race # 2

I've managed at short notice to get a starting place on Sunday's ITU race in Brasschaat near Antwerp. Its a bit of a different format from the Ironman 70.3 in that its a longer swim(2.7km) and a shorter bike leg at 80km. I think its also has 2 different transition zones but I'll get that cleared up on Saturday at the pre race briefing. The different format is probably down to local routes but the bottom line is the swim will be a real stretch for me and a big test with the cutoff time being very tight as well. Time wise it should be similat as 10K is about 20 minutes on the bike and 800m swim is about 18mins. The flat circuit should mean a slightly quicker average speed though. The best thing is its only an hour from my house so why not have a go. Worst case its an Open Water training day.

The bike leg looks to be flat so no big climbs so that should be OK. The run leg will be similar topography and its a straight half marathon distance(21km). I'm just hoping the weather isn't too hot(needs to be under 25C) and its not raining. I may not start if its really really chucking it down. I don't fancy another bike crash this year.

I'll limit my training this week and hope to carry it off on my base fitness and I have had a couple of bike rides and runs in the last 2 weeks so i haven't been totally lazy. I'm still carrying the foot injury on my right foot but having had a break from running for nearly a week now its not feeling anywhere as bad as it was.

2 comments:

  1. Cammy, we used to live in Brasschaat. Hemelakkers, 69 to be precise just by the park. Really nice village. Would love to join you in the race but am mentally warming myself up for a stab at a 5k run in the park on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see Brownie we were destined to meet :) If not in Glasgow then as aging bevvy merchants in the Taunus mountains or potetnially as lithe middle aged crisis struck athletes in obscure Belgian towns. One day our paths would have crossed.

    BTW I've sold all my Becks stock...these guys are going down based on my personal negative consumption in the last year alone. I do know however that Bart is still doing his bit for the Germanic economy though. I jealously watched him skulling beers last time I was over in Dilbeek. :O)

    Can we expect a drop in from Jacqui soon on house hunting duties ?

    ReplyDelete

 
Locations of visitors to this page