Monday, January 19, 2009

Pre Race Warm up - Spring Half Marathon

I've signed up for the Alloa half marathon in Scotland with Stuart and Chico(you're both now named and will be shamed if you don't do it)... The website says its quite a flat course and so a personal best is definately possible....ooh they really love to tease you these athletic types. They of course use the runners abbreviation of PB.....they are worse than IT guys for jargon.

I'll be looking to get round without injury in under 1hr:45. Its on 22nd March so just 60 days away. My only concern is what will it be like running in my Duffle Coat given usual weather conditions at that time of year in Central Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duffel_coat

I just looked up that link on Wikipedia and amazingly one of the guys from Franz Ferdinand is pictured 'cooly' wearing a Duffle coat. When exactly did that happen? I had a Duffle Coat in 2nd year at high school and I can safely say that it wasn't at that time considered a high fashion icon. In fact at that time being caught in possession of a Duffle Coat on the way to school was more likely to see you being relieved of your dinner money and at best left with a dead leg and more likely a kick in the gonads into the bargain.






http://www.alloahalfmarathon.co.uk/ is the link for the half marathon if you fancy it. :O) Duffle coats on the other hand are available from most second hand clothing shops. I can say that from bitter personal experience that you buy one at your peril.

My legs are very very painful today after yesterdays run and I've been hobbling round the office and putting on a brave but determined face...tommorrow I suspect will be worse but I've mentally pencilled in a session on the bike after work or in the unlikely scenario that I can get up early enough I'll do the 7am spinning session at the gym...I'm not in any way looking forward to either option. I need to do something though as I'm booked for Munich on Thursday this week so thats a day blocked out with no training, so tomorrow is a must train day.

5 comments:

  1. Brownie,
    Near Stirling in Scotland.......do they have a duffle coat shop in Koenigstein ? If you fancy it we can crash at my mums no problem. That race in Giessen we talked about is the weekend we're in Germany to see Anja's production. So Giessen probably won't be an option for you. This might just be the one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is why I chose it you Idjet! Might look at Alloa. I see about 700 ran in 2008

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, let me set the record straight. I have not yet signed up for Alloa but will do so if my company bonus will cover the 16.50 entry fee. At the monent that is looking risky :-) Glad to see you managed to change the colour scheme of your blogspot to a more neutral blue and white....a little red wouldn't go a miss either ;-) only a joke Tracy, honest.

    Perhaps we could get Artur Boruc to sign up for Alloa? He could do with shedding a few pounds and at least we'd have someone to hand out the cigars afterwards, although he may drop them in a puddle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll be ordering tray's of wine at the end not cigars....aah the memories....You need to run Alloa, I'm planning to slipstream you the whole way round then nick in front in the last 200m while you are basking in finishers glory...in Alloa

    ReplyDelete

 
Locations of visitors to this page