Friday, January 23, 2009

The bike...the bike

Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain -- at least in a poor country like Russia -- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect.

Trotsky, Leon
1879-1940 Russian Revolutionary


The deal is done, invoice paid. As predicted the original race budget was ignored. I've bought a 54cm Carbon bike. It weighs in at a feather-light 7.1kg, without pedals...a bike without pedals, what is that all about. I now need to pick up the clicky tap like cycling shoes and a set of pedals. It should arrive late next week...all the way from Germany.




It looks slightly different from the Eddie Merckx time trial bike that is on display at his very own Metro station in Bruxelles. I wonder if Chris Hoy will get an underground station named after him in Glasgow...

5 comments:

  1. Cammy, music for your training:
    “I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle; I want to ride my bicycle; I want to ride my bike; I want to ride my bicycle; I want to ride it where I like…; I don’t believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman; All I wanna do is bicycle, bicycle, bicycle…”
    Freddie Mercury, Queen, 1978

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does have his own station in Glasgow - it's called "Hoy you ya ****" station - between Ibrox and Kinning Park

    Glad to see you've got wheels now. Did you remember to get ribbons for the handlebars and a basket?

    Went for a run with another guy in work today. I tried to invent meetings to put him off but he kept messaging me back to say he'd wait :-( He's mid 40's and a flying machine. Does a 10k in tad over 40 mins. It was torrential rain and the route we did resembled Paschendale on a bad day. Did 6k in about 27.5 mins - he was like " nice to end the week on an easy run"

    Seeing if red wine can flush out the lactic acid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stu,
    You are correct, I remember the staion fondly. I spent many a happy hour there, it was always full of wine drinking overweight Loyalist sympathisers who had failed the singing interview on x-Factor. aahhhh the good old days...

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red wine does not flush out lactic acid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stu,
    Are you sure? I might give it a second go tonight, just in case it was the wrong type of red wine.

    ReplyDelete

 
Locations of visitors to this page