Sunday, September 5, 2010

20K Sunday - Isotonic Red Wine

























Preparation is better on Saturday night as I'm out for dinner and have a Sashimi starter and a large Thai Mixed fish stir fry with rice for my main. Bottle of Argentinian Red and a half litre of water. Some magic tea before bed and I sleep like an Egyptian mummy.

I'm up about 10am and have a nice breakfast of half baguette with bacon,three cups of tea,a kit-kat(you are what you eat) couple of glasses of orange juice and a half litre of water.

I rest for half an hour then get the dogs in and step out to the bright sunshine. Pretty scorchio so back in and I change my top to a short sleeve one. Music on and I'm off for 20K. The difference is startling, yesterday I was in pain from the first 10 minutes and today my legs feel like they need to be held back. I don't feel any sweat on my face till I've done about 3.5K.

I drop off 5K in 24:30 at the top of Hedgehog hill. I know I've been up it but I can feel that I'll recover quick on the next downhill section. The next long hill up to Messager du Bruxelles from Ohain is a real leg killer. I get to the roundabout and although I've done about 7K I feel not too bad but I'm happy to have a flat section next.

Turn left along the flat to start a sharp downhill then climb up to Ransbeeke. Legs again taking on quite a climb and its hot here as the road is all concrete, so I can start to feel it through my shoes.

Left turn at around the 10K mark in 50:35 which is pretty swift for me on such a long run , towards Waterloo and the wind is now at my back, this is usually a good thing but the sun is in my face now and I'm getting no cooling relief from the wind at all.

I reach the N5 and can feel the shivers starting, I'm now officialy getting fried and am wishing I'd taken another 500ml of water and am fantasising about buying a bottle from the shop. The shop is of course shut as its Sunday and I have no money....its all in the head....I could probably still outrun the security guys, if they were working.

At 15K my legs are done, skin is like a plucked chicken and I'm alternating between roasting and freezing. I know that I'm actually neither too hot nor too cold. I'm just drying out. I've been here before and you can get through it but you need to finish to get the cure. Respiration is all fine and I'm trying alternating experiments to keep my mind going by on filling my lungs completely for 500M and then switching to normal breathing. I'm not sure what is best but the big breaths are out of tune with my strides so feel weird.

At 17K and 1:30ish I turn left into the breeze again and I can feel the blisters on my toes forming. The instep on my left foot also starting to nip so I'll be getting one there too. Looks like my 1000 mile socks are starting to lose their bounce....

Downhill and its just gravity keeping me going. I'm dreading the last hill as its a real killer being so close to home. I really really want to just stop, even for just a minute. I feel like I'm running in treacle as my legs are going so slow. I can't stride out very far as my legs are too painful. I reach the top and along the flat.

Farmer has cut the field down to my left, the temptation to just cut the corner is enormous. I don't and come down the road, kids playing on their bikes in the street , they scatter when they see me except one wee guy who is obviously too cool. He plots my course then places his bike directly in front of me side on...I bet he didn't expect me to hurdle his back wheel, should've clipped his ear on the way past...I'm done 1:50:12 and I'm really done.

Clearly Red Wine is Isotonic..............

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page